A gamelan is a traditional musical ensemble from Indonesia, typically from the islands of Java and Bali, featuring a variety of instruments such as metallophones, xylophones, kendang (drums) and gongs; bamboo flutes, bowed and plucked strings. Vocalists may also be included. For most Indonesians, gamelan music is an integral part of Indonesian culture.
At our school here, they have an actual room dedicated to be a gamelan room. Classes take turns during their normal music class time to use this room. Most of these instruments looked like old Chinese pieces of furniture. They also invite all the parents in at the end of the gamelan lesson schedule to participate in an "Informance." For some reason I didn't think that a camera or a camcorder was needed. I was wrong. Hopefully one of the other kids will rotate through soon!


1 comment:
I had to learn about gamelan during a world music cultures class, and I'm curious, what did you think of the sound??? I'm really not a fan of dissonance, so it wasn't my favorite. But I thought it was cool that we were taught to remove our shoes because the instruments are believed to house sacred spirits - if I remember correctly...? That's neat that your kids get to learn those aspects of the local culture!
Post a Comment