Sunday, December 27, 2009

I'll be home for Christmas

Literally, we were home for Christmas. This is the 14th Christmas we have celebrated since Jeremy and I have been married. There has only been one other Christmas (maybe in 2001, when my in-laws came to us in Texas while "on-call" in the Army) that we have spent in our own house. In past years, this tradition on traveling to visit family members has included: decorations that are enjoyed before the holidays, decorations taken down at the same time as unpacking, years decorations didn't go up because it didn't seem worth it, loads of luggage (really!), airports (need I say more?), airport security, hotels (sometimes), car rentals, SUV rentals (depending on where or how many), etc., etc., etc.! Two years ago we flew out of our Jacksonville Airport criss-crossing the country to the Seattle Airport with five of us...and had to ship the presents (for 12 people) because they weren't going to all fit in the rented SUV with all our carseats and luggage. Then, proceeded to mail our own presents home, because we had sooooo many...and this was before they started charging money per luggage piece. Money matters aside, this just became exhausting!

It was a unique and wonderful experience to have had the opportunity to spend it here where we live. The nation's capitol is quite festive. Sarah's parents were with us on their way home from their mission in India. We have extended family in the area to also spend time with. And, because we were here, we were lavished with goodies and treats from new friends and neighbors...who knew?!

We enjoyed the National Christmas Tree (and surrounding trees representing each state):

We enjoyed making and decorating cookies:

We enjoyed family:

And, we enjoyed presents:

1 comment:

Brett M said...

How great that you got to see your parents! I'm sure that was a major highlight of Christmas too. I hope they are well. We had Christmas at home for the first time and loved it. I think we stumbled on a new tradition.